UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I'm on Tier 2 work permit with appropriate salary and I

Hi, I'm on Tier 2 work...
I'm on Tier 2 work permit with appropriate salary and I would like to invite my family (mom & bro) to UK to spend Christmas holidays. I read I should accommodate them and need an approval letter from landlord. I'm renting a one bedroom apartment for 6 month.
The landlord replied to me today: "further to your email of 15th November, I have taken advise from others regarding your request to allow your family to stay in the Flat. On all accounts the advise I have been given is unfortunately not to sign the visitor visa / Landlord's authorisation letter as per your attachment. I honestly do not believe the Flat is large enough to accommodate you and your family and feel uncomfortable to state otherwise. This also has implications to my insurances as it is set up for single person occupancy, therefore if anything should go amiss I will be totally liable. I fully appreciate your desire to spend the festive period with your family, there are a number of hotels in the locality and obviously there is no problems with them visiting the Flat during their stay"
I noticed that in my tenancy agreement I'm not even supposed to ask the landlord for approval as I'm allowed to accommodate up to four from the same family group as per term 14.2. I copied the section that has to do with this.
I need advice on how to handle this situation. Am I legally allowed to accommodate my family for Christmas holidays?!Thanks,"Use of the Premises
14.1. To use the Premises only as a private residence for the occupation of the Tenant and his immediate family.
14.2. To agree that the Premises are let on the condition that they are occupied by no more than 4 occupiers
including children unless those occupiers form a single family group. If the Tenant wishes to have more than
4 occupiers from more than one family group within the Premises the Tenant must gain the Landlord's written
consent. If there are more than 4 occupiers not in a single family group residing in the Premises without the
Landlord's consent then the Landlord will seek a Court Order for possession of the Premises as the Landlord
may be in breach of his statutory obligations.
14.3. Not to register a company at the address of the Premises.
14.4. Not to run a business solely from the Premises.
14.5. Not to use the Premises for any illegal purpose.
14.6. Not to hold or allow any sale by auction at the Premises.
14.7. Not to use or consume or allow to be used or consumed any drugs or any other substance which is, or
becomes, prohibited or restricted by law other than according to any conditions required for the legal use of
such restricted substances.
14.8. Not to use the Premises or allow others to use the Premises in a way which causes a nuisance, annoyance
or damage to any neighbouring, adjoining or adjacent property or the owners or occupiers of them. This
includes any nuisance caused by noise.
14.9. Not to decorate or make any alterations or additions to or in the Premises without the prior consent of the
Landlord.
14.10. Not to remove the Fixtures and Fittings of the Premises or to store them in any way or place inside or outside
the Premises which could reasonably lead to damage to the Fixtures and Fittings; or to the Fixtures and
Fittings deteriorating more quickly than if they had remained in the same location as at the beginning of the
Tenancy.
14.11. Not to place or erect any aerial, satellite dish, notice, cable equipment, advertisement, sign or board on or in
the Premises without the prior consent of the Landlord, which will not be unreasonably withheld.
14.12. To pay all the costs of installation, removal and repair of any damage done if consent is granted or due to a
breach of clause 14.11 above.
14.13. Not to keep any dangerous or inflammable goods, materials or substances in or on the Premises, apart from
those required for general household use.
14.14. Not to hang any posters, pictures or other items in the Premises using blu-tac, sellotape, nails, adhesive or
their equivalents.
14.15. To hang posters, pictures or other items in the Premises using a reasonable number of commercial picture
hooks and to make good any damage caused to the Premises in so doing.
14.16. To leave the Fixtures and Fittings at the end of the Tenancy in the same places in which they were positioned
at the commencement of the Tenancy as detailed in the Inventory and Schedule of Condition prepared at the
start of the Tenancy."
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Kindly find attached the tenancy agreement and the landlord email for your reference. My question is am I legally allowed to host my mom and bro at my one bedroom apartment as per my tenancy agreement?!
11/16/2017
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate

Thank you. This is straight forward from a legal point of view. You are allowed for your family to stay in your property over christmas or at any time. The landlord is quite wrong in his response. The clause 14.2 confirms that they are able to stay. In any event you are not sub letting but simply having your family stay for a few days over christmas. This is also nothing to do with his insurance. It is allowed. I hope that this helps and please rate positive.

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate