UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have recently been to the family court and was advised to…

I have recently been...

I have recently been to the family court and was advised to sign a general form of undertaking to not allow my partners father to have unsupervised contact with my children. I was assured that this was better than it going in the arrangement for child contact. My ex wife had made unsupported allegations about his sexual conduct which I disproved by applying for disclosure under sarahs law but she still keeps bringing it up with various agencies. He has no unsupervised contact but now my partner feels this is almost worse as in signing this it makes him look guilty without a chance to represent himself. Is this undertaking private or can she post it on face book etc to cause more distress to my new partners family?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Sorry I'm in the UK and the court was in county durham

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No it only went to court yesterday and I was under the impression I had no choice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

11/14/2017
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall so my best to help you

In fact this is simply a pragmatic approach to the position.

You have not admitted, agreed to or suggested anything whatsoever - you have merely agreed than there is no reason why the children should be left with your partner's father and promised it will not happen.

This does not imply that he is guilty of anything at all - and of your ex tries to state otherwise then she can be sued for libel.

In any event publishing Family Court documents is a contempt of court

Please ask if you need further details

if she were to publish this or make the contents public there could be consequences in terms of the courts? What might they be reasonably expected to do in these circumstances based on your experience to date?

It would strengthen your position in the case itself - and she would be "told off' - but it is unlikely that it will be anything else.

Of course if she says anything to suggest a reason why the undertaking was given that would be Libel - and could a=mount to harassment

Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor