UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

A friend of mine had her account frozen by Barclays after…

A friend of mine...

A friend of mine had her account frozen by Barclays after she received transfers from the same client (who has visited the branch to confirm legitimacy) within a period of several hours. They subsequently sent her a letter telling her that her account had been terminated with no reason. She spoke with their Fraud department on Saturday and was told that in order for them to release the funds she had to send them proof that they were legal including invoices etc. She is very upset as obviously no funds, and presumably will have been put on some sort of black list. I understood that banks were obliged to return funds unless there was a court order. Should she just email requiring th

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

United Kingdom

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

Release of the funds obviously and clarification of whether they have taken any action that will prevent her opening an account elsewhere

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so. Thank you

11/13/2017
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Thanks for requesting me but this is not my area.

I'll opt out.

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is do you want to ask about this today please?

Basically what are the bank entitled to do in the absence of any court order (which I presume she would have been told about)? Surely they cannot just retain her funds at their discretion? Many thanks
I don't really know enough about the detail of the case to provide much further information. I'm told that she was doing events management for a party that kept being extended through the night, as a consequence of which £7,000 was transferred in stages. She is registered with HMRC and pays tax, but bank clearly thinks something amiss. Can they also be required to advise if they have red flagged her with CIFAS?

Were these unusual transfers?

More than she’d usually be receiving certainly - the client kept asking to extend for hours past the originally agreed closing time and so she charged him through the nose. He went into branch with her to explain with his ID and bank statements when the account was first suspended.

Did she tell the bank before the transfers happened?

No, it was in middle of the night but I gather transfers - presumably of lesser sums in aggregate - were common. Unsure what usual pattern was. Maybe I should ask her details of that (previous month?) and send to you. Could also ask her to liaise direct rather than me being piggy in middle, although English is not her first language and she tends to fly off on tangents that aren’t pertinent.

Yes, if you can ask her to log in and chat to me here.

If she can let me know when she is online.

However after reading money laundering regs, it wont necessarily be good news.

I thought that might be the case re regs. She’s going to branch tomorrow to ask for statements and will let you have the last month’s details so that you can consider first. Very grateful for help. Not entirely clear about cost. This is obviously taking a lot of your time. Will send account info when I get it

Sure

Apologies for the delay, but my friend has been to her branch and obtained copies of statements to cover the three months prior to the closure of the account. Would you like to see all of those in full or an excel summary of payments in/out over a certain limit?

No thats ok. So its been closed, not frozen?

It was frozen, and then they closed it.

Ok. She needs to write and make a formal written complaint to the bank.

They will investigate this and come back. If they do not uphold the complaint then and only then can you complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

They regulate banks and offer a free, independent service at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Thank you very much. I think that concludes matters and I'll be happy to give you a five star rating.Guy