UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have a similar Third Party recording situation. I recently…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a similar Third Party recording situation. I recently had a 'private' conversation with senior director of the board of a University. This was in the street but only witnessed by three other members of the University administrative staff. No other members of the public were present or nearbt

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Cont. nearby. Pols -- different country !!! thanks for your time. JAE UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

Let's start again . UK nothing to do with education law. I was speaking to thnsenior admin person of the University. On the street. at night. 3 other University staff witnesses. I also had an independent witness. Conversation was to provide University director with information beneficial to them although I and others are in contention with some of their plans and actions. We were trying to establish a beneficial dialogue. It was dark with little light. After we had finished, we noted that tucked away behind a wall was the University's Director of Communications. He was seen to have been recording the conversation on his phone. I nor the other two members of the public are employees of the University.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Director of Communications is known to be extremely defensive of the University, lacks transparency, frequently distorts known facts relating to the university that are already known by some members of the public, and denies the absolute., A classic 'spin doctor'. Has low level threatened members of the public previously. Uni has suspended staff who have offered mild criticism of the management style of the Uni on twitter, etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
11/12/2017
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 8 months ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The law on this is clear you are not entitled to record any one without their consent where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. The problem here is this was a private conversation held in a public place - so you may actually struggle to assert your right of privacy over the recording. So to look for other protections we can consider the Data Protection Act 1998- is there anything in the recording that can identify you personally? This recording was made by the directors of communications so he would have a duty to keep personal data secure and non circulate.

Considering these points what might the recording actually be used for? Even if he is in breach of your right to privacy or data protection law - really he is only going to cause issue if the recording is published or certified. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Aj