UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I am looking at starting a new business of printing t-shirts…

Customer Question
Good Morning! Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good Morning!

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I am looking at starting a new business of printing t-shirts and my market is aimed at pregnant women and women with young babies

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

What are the rules on using 'Disney Themed' designs?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

I dont have documentation. No so far I have only designed my own t-shirts. no attorney and nothing been filed in court

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Law
Hi, I have added a picture of the kind of designs I am looking at selling. I just want to know if these designs could cause any law suits. I did read up on this before getting my designs and it said that as long and it wasnt an actual Disney character you were using it should be ok but I wanted to verify this,
11/7/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 9 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Would your design be confused with an actual character from Disney?

Hi Jamie, I attached an image for you to look at but no they shouldnt. I have not used an actual Disney character. The designs I have had done are original and are for example a baby sitting behind an apple with 'Snow White and the Apple of Her Eye' written as the slogan on the t-shirt. The one I have attached is maybe the one I would be most worried about as it is based on the 'Beauty and the Beast' movie. It looks similar to the Beast but it is an original design and is a baby Beast which does not feature in the films. I hope this makes sense.Thank you
Sarah
Images attached

The only issue you may have is using the name.

If you say Snow White or Cinderella everyone knows it’s from Disney.

So the names are ***** ***** be trademarked.

I see you have the images, which are fine. It’s just the names which concern me.

So you will be ok with the pictures, but the text may be an issue because you are using Disney character names

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.