UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I am a discharged bankrupt, will my bankruptcy show up on

the search the solicitor does...
I am a discharged bankrupt, will my bankruptcy show up on the search the solicitor does for the mortgage lender?
JA: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: I was declared bankrupt in December 2008. Nothing shows on my credit report now and I have no problem getting credit at all.
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? If so, what?
Customer: Yes I was made bankrupt in 2008 in county court
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I just need to know if my old bankruptcy will show now if my solicitor does the searches they need to do etc
10/21/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No, it wont. It only shows for 6 years from the date you became discharged.

But if your lender asks if you have EVER been made bankrupt etc, you need to declare it.

Otherwise if they find out later, its fraud by false representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi thanks for your help, so to be clear. The search done by my conveyancing solicitor for the mortgage lender will not show an entry for me as I was discharged in December 2014, is my understanding correct?

No, it will be REMOVED from your credit file 6 years after discharge.

If you were made bankrupt in 2008 it wont show.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does the conveyancer not do a different type of search though, some people, unqualified people, are saying that the search the solicitors do for the lender, I think it’s a K16 search, shows everything and has no time limit. Is this not the case?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is a question under UK law, you do know that don’t you?

Yes, I am based in Midlands.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Brilliant, it’s just all the payment references are in dollars, so I was a little confused. So the K16 or K17 searches my solicitor will do, will not show my 2008 bankruptcy then?

Yes, its a USA site, but UK lawyers.

Shouldnt do as its been over 6 years.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They don’t use the credit agencies, they use another source or sources and that’s why I am being told it will still show, I am just very confused over the different searches and concerned that it will show up?

Yes. They have a duty to keep data for a reasonable length of time. This is commonly accepted as being 6 years.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh right so even a K16 or K17 search won’t show anything then? Do they search the London Gazette when you are buying a house with a mortgage?
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor