UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

We hired an electrician to do some electrical work. He did…

We hired an electrician to...
We hired an electrician to do some electrical work. He did some work and and now keeps saying he’s going to come to complete it but doesn’t turn upIf I ask another electrician they won’t do the job from where he left off hey will have to redo it all again in order to give an electric certificateThis will cost me againThis is left me behind in my work as my builders can’t continue with some of the work etcWhat can I do
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

.

we’ve paid for most of it. There is £300 outstanding
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

You need to put the electrician on a time limit and say that if he has not completed the work within,say, 2 weeks you will instruct another electrician to do the work and sue the original electrician for the additional cost beyond £300.00.

He will be aware that any other electrician is likely to charge a great deal and it is in his interest to avoid such a situation

If there are any further points please respond I will be happy to reply.

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

But for another electrician to do it he/she would charge the full amount again so shouldn’t we say we’ll sue him for the bill??And do we have to say 2 weeks this has been going on for 4 weeks already?

You can get a couple of quotations from electricians and send them to the first one so he can see the cost. You can sue for the additional cost whatever that may be.

You can make the time limit shorter but it must be reasonable in terms of you both being available for the work to be done, he will need access.

Michael

I supposeJust so annoyed as he he has said he’ll come and then doesn’t turn up etc etcAnd this has gone on for at least 4 weeks
If he doesn’t respond what happens nextI know from past experience he just ignores your calls!

I have had the same experience and it is very, very frustrating.

Get a couple of quotes , send them to him , tell him he has 7 days. If he does not do it go with the cheapest quote , sue original electrician for the difference

Michael

Ok. It’s frustrating!How do you sue

You can sue for the money using the online claim system for debts below £10,000.00.

It will come up on your search engine but ,make sure you go into the UK Gov site which is the official one. It is relatively easy to use.

Michael

Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Thanks so much