UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

On Monday afternoon I signed a contract for a "surveyor"

On Monday afternoon I...

On Monday afternoon I signed a contract for a "surveyor" company to look at getting us a rate reduction. Having checked them out overnight, wasn't happy and emailed them with a cancellation first thing on Tuesday morning. they say I can't cancel and want to charge me 8% of the rateable value (£15,000) as a fee ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

To cancel the contract and pay as little as possible....... as no costs have been incurred at this time

10/20/2017
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What reason have they provided for for not allowing you to cancel? Also, did you see the surveyor in person or was this done online?

business to business contract with no cooling off period
saw a salesperson but not a surveyor

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. Unfortunately business-to-business contracts are not subject to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 or the relevant regulations dealing with automatic cooling off periods. Therefore, your rights will be limited to whatever was agreed between the parties or in a contract that accompanied your agreement. If there was no cooling off period, you knew of this before agreeing to accept their services and proceeded on that basis, then you cannot automatically cancel after that. You may only potentially do so if you can show that they have acted in breach of contract (difficult if the services have not even started yet) or if they consent to the cancellation.

The only other option is to refuse to pay and see what happens - they may issue threats and engage debt collectors but unless they go to court and win they cannot force you to pay anything. So some parties may take their chances and do that, hoping that they won’t go as far as court. However, if they do you may have to deal with that so that will always be the risk.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer