UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

What would be the likely outcome if somebody admits to

Customer Question
stealing £300 from work, at...
What would be the likely outcome if somebody admits to stealing £300 from work, at the beginning stage of an interview at the police station, for a first time offence and the money had already been paid back to the work.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It's in the Uk, Hampshire
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: There has been no action taken so far apart from today when the police ask to arrange an interview and in an ideal world a community order or less.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Law
10/19/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 3 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

What is the background please?

What do you mean the background?
If you need me what led me to do this ?

What type of work does he do ?

What are the circumstances?

It is retail work, and what happened leading up to it was, I had three miscarriages one in August one in November and one in May, when I miscarried in August I was told by HR that I would receive bereavement leave and pay when I got my pay packet in September my manager had class me as sick. When I talk to her about it she just said we can't class it as bereavement leave as it wasn't a real person so it doesn't really matter when I then miscarried again in may she was very nasty about it, so I stupidly decided if they're not going to give me the money that I'm entitled to I was going to take it, it was a very rash and stupid decision what obviously I regret. Work found out in July I instantly resign from my job and haven't heard anything since today, the police came over and basically arranged an interview with me for Wednesday and the police officer told me if I come in and I confessed straight away, it would probably lead to a community order. But I was wondering what is the likelihood of that happening and what does that actually mean?

You might be lucky and get a police caution then. It is not the highest amount and it was a one off decision.

If they do pursue it though then it would be a fine or a community order. There is no chance of custody. Despite the breach of trust, the amount is just not high enough to warrant custody.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Even though I'm going to go in there and be completely honest would you still recommend that I ask for the duty solicitor to be there? And is there a chance of this going to court and prison?

Yes, use the duty solicitor.

I think I covered sentence above?

Don't worry about being honest. Obviously you can't lie but silence is golden. Do what your solicitor tells you to do.

Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister