UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

A friend of mine is a pharmacist. He took one sleeve from a…

Customer Question
A friend of mine...

A friend of mine is a pharmacist. He took one sleeve from a pack of tablet which can only be given by prescription simply because his back was aching very bad that day and he couldn’t continue working unless he took some sort of medication. It got caught on cctv so he is now under investigation. Do you know what this means or what he could be looking at? He understands what he did but very scared.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet as he only got the call a couple of hours ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Could he lose his license

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 9 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Investigation by his employer?

He’s a locum.
the company that he worked for that day rang and said all his shifts at that establishment were cancelled until further notice as he is under investigation

Not my area then.

I will pass this onto an employment lawyer.

Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello I am an employment lawyer and will help you with this. How long has he worked there for please?

Hello thankyou. Just under a year

Hi there, first of all it is entirely possible that his employment with this particular pharmacy can be terminated. As a locum he is not an employee so he does not have many rights, such as protection against unfair dismissal. Therefore, they can simply decide not to work with him any more and basically terminate their employment relationship.

The employer could also report this to the GMC which could then conduct its own investigation. They are responsible for the licensing and regulation of doctors and they can take more formal disciplinary action if needed. Just because they investigate something does not mean any formal action will be taken but it is a possibility, depending on what they find and if they believe further action is necessary. In this case the alleged offence is not that serious, especially considering it was a one off and there were reasons which could clearly explain why he did it. It does not justify his actions but it does explain why he did it and could provide some mitigating factors. In the grand scheme of things this was not such a serious offence and I do think that suspension of his licence could be an overkill in the circumstances. Some minor disciplinary action could still come out of this but it is certainly not a caree-ending offence. So whilst he should not try and justify his actions and claim that he has done nothing wrong, he needs to admit that what he did was unacceptable but also clearly explain why he did it and that it was a one off incident and it will not happen again.

trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks