UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have been arrested for an online chat of a nature with a…

I have been arrested for...
I have been arrested for an online chat of a sexual nature with a 15 year old girl. There were arrangements made to meet but no meeting occured.
It was an 18 + site.
Am i likely to be charged and what is the likely punishment?
10/15/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you,

Do you accept the offence?

They haven't revealed the chat history due to lack of evidence and i am unsure about what was said. I was advised a no comment interview under questioning. Electric items were taken. Phone and laptop

Do you have any previous?

None
No phone numbers were exchanged or e mail address. Conversation was over the course of 1 day. I had no intention of meeting her.

But there were arrangements to meet?

Did you send images?

Did you lie about your age?

there were arrangements to meet. Didn't lie about age and non sexual images exchanged.

The starting point is 18 months custody with a range of 1 year to 2.5 years.

If you have no previous it may be suspended.

Just because you didnt actually physically meet does not mean there has been no offence.

But that is mitigation the fact you didnt meet

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. Thanks!

What do you mean by that is mitigation the fact that you didn't meet
Is that what people usually get sentenced to?

Yes and yes.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor