UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I rent a large 4 bedroom property, and I live there on my…

Customer Question
Hello. I rent a...

Hello. I rent a large 4 bedroom property, and I live there on my own. I have recently got engaged to a Ukrainian lady, and as part of the visa process I need to obtain my landlords consent for her to live in the property with me. Despite both the landlord and the letting agency describing me as a model tenant, he has refused, with no explanation ! Not only does this concern me for my present fiancee, who I now cannot see being able to join me in the UK and therefore the relationship might end, but I have asked the managing agents whether I need the landlords written permission for any future partner to join me. The agents have told me that I do, and the person would be classified as a " Permitted Occupier" No where in my tenancy agreement is there any reference to my needing to obtain the landlords permission to have another occupant in the house with me. In fact the agreement states that I " agree that the premises are let on the condition that it is occupied by no more than 4 occupiers including children... " What is my position please ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

In Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No - but I have got a written refusal from the landlord re my Ukrainian fiancee

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Law
9/27/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does it say only named people in the tenancy can live there?

It may be the morning when I reply.

No - there is nothing in the agreement that states that

then the landlord can’t stop you. As such you can move someone else in. You don’t need consent or permission.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Hi. The tenancy agreement does state " to use the premises only as a single private residence for the occupation of the tenant and not to carry on any formal trade or profession " but I guess that does not mean for the exclusive occupation of the tenant only ? I have asked the managing agents on a couple of occasions to provide me with information on whereabouts in the tenancy agreement it states that I need the landlords permission to move my partner in, and to date they have failed to come back to me - she did say on the phone that statutory regulations over rule the tenancy agreement, but to my knowledge there is no law that requires me to obtain the landlords permission ?
The company dealing with my fiancees visa application also told me that he thought I could bring a law suit against the landlord under the Human Rights Act ( right to a family life ) This also seems to me to be a class of racial discrimination. Your comments would be appreciated.
Kevin

It does not say exclusive. Sadly you cant claim anything under the Human Rights Act, unless the Landlord is a public body. Only public bodies like a Council or Government Department are bound by human rights.

Again with discrimination unless you can show the Landlord is biased on the grounds of race, sex, nationality, colour, religion, age etc, there is no case.

Your case is under contract - it does not say exclusive occupation.

Does that clarify?

thanks

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!