How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 26069
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My future employee needs a certification that I had no

This answer was rated:

Hi. My future employee needs a certification that I had no criminal records. What is the proper name of it and how can I apply for it?
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: *employer UK I'm a Hungarian citizen
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Does your employer require a certificate from the Hungarian Police or just a UK criminal check?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Just the UK criminal check

Thanks. There are two ways in which you can obtain a criminal records check in the UK. Which one you choose depends upon whether your employer intends to carryout the check for you or whether they have asked you to obtain a certificate yourself.

If your employer intends to carry out a check for you they can only do so if your job involves working in healthcare, working with children or with the elderly. If it doesn't then your employer cannot obtain a check. If it does they can apply to the governments DBS service to apply for a check. You will then be sent a request by the service to confirm you consent to the check and will be sent a copy of the result which you then give to your employer.

If you are not working in one of the above roles then you can obtain a disclosure yourself by using the government disclosure service. Confusingly the service is called "Disclosure Scotland" but it applies to the whole of the UK (except Northern Ireland). You can request the disclosure using the following link - it costs £25 and is usually completed in a few days:

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Joshua and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thank you very much. It helped a lot.

I'm glad. Good luck with your new role. Best wishes