UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Someone requested the service of a plumber of my behalf

without my knowledge or permission...
Someone requested the service of a plumber of my behalf without my knowledge or permission, however the plumber is invoicing me. Do I have to pay?
9/21/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No, they do.

They instructed the plumber, so the contract is with with them.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Dear Jamie,Thank you for the prompt response! The situation is slightly more complex and would require a few more details. In summary, however, my mother came to my flat in my absence and discovered the neighbours had broken in to my flat to investigate a leak and asked some neighbours to call a plumber, who duly said they knew a friend and called him.The plumber attended the flat, fixed the issue, but declined remittance when asked by my mother if she could pay him. He declined to leave a business card. 5 weeks after the event he posted, by hand, an invoice through my letterbox with high charges (and no VAT number). My mother did not call the plumber herself. No quote for work was given. No work orders were signed.The feeling on the day was that the plumber was called in a friendly but not professional capacity and in my absence, but by verbal request.I believe the bill is unreasonable, especially given all the circumstances involved. Is my mother legally liable for the bill, or are the neighbours seeing as they called him.On a side note, if this is allowed, is it legal for my neighbours to disconnect my water supply without mine or the waterboard's permission?Your help is greatly appreciated.Kind regards,Alan.

You just dont pay anything. Its not your problem.

They ought to go back to whoever instructed them.

Does that clarify Alan?

That does, thank you! I would just like to be 100% sure that my mother is also legally obliged to pay

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Not obliged, I mean
I'll happily click OK and give you the 5 stars if you could just confirm that my mother, not being the calling party, is in the clear.Thanks!

Correct.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor