UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I have an issue where i have cut a tree in my new property,

Customer Question
Hi, i have an...

Hi, i have an issue where i have cut a tree in my new property, and it accidently has gone into the neighbours garden, and damaged the neighbours shed, i had repaired to best of ability at the time, but the neighbour was not happy with the repair, he is now attempting to claim from me for a cost of a shed,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have found a replacement shed for him, and he is claiming 4 times this amunt i am in the UK

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, nothing has been filed, only letters been sent, and text messages.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The neighbour, previously owned his property, but sold it prior to the incident, he is now the tenant.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: UK Law
9/21/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you accept the repair is not up to standard?

The shed has been in situ for years, it is a metal panel shed, the door is wood (already rotten), yes some panels are not able to straightened, but i have proposed to the neighbour to provide me with the make and model of the shed for me to check parts available and replace as neccessary.
i can agree with the neighbour that it is not in the same condition prior to the damage due to the damaged panels

Of course, as they only have a limited life.

Wont he give you the make/model and replace it?

no he has not acknowledged this request, he has initially asked for £2000 (and admitted it is smaller than the one in place), but i have told him via letter, i will not pay for an upgraded shed (as it includes sliding doors which not present in one he has now), however i have found a like for like replacement, for £500, he has refused to accept this, and threatened legal action, since i have requested the owner of the property's contact details, but not forthcoming. since i have received a letter asking for a sum of £1300. i have not yet sent a response
i proposed i can contribute towards the new shed of £500 as his has been in situ for years,(i provided him with the details of the found shed) but did not make any offer of the amount,

Do you know the cost of getting someone in to repair it? Or cant it be repaired?

it can be repaired by replacing the parts, however he is not giving the make or model, just asking for amount to be compensated.
he has sent a letter demanding compensation,

Ok - then you dont need to pay for replacement. You have been more than reasonable offering repair or £500.

As such do not pay anything. In any event you would not even have to pay for a new shed.

If it is old, you would only pay like for like. But anyway, you have offered to fix it.

Therefore you do not need to do anything else.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

please, as they are threatening me civil action and feels he is going to reclaim costs of the court back as well. I feel worried and pressured.
Would the courts seek his costs from me?He seems to want to claim some compensation from me which was his demand when sending his letter.
Is he entitled to this compensation ? He has not lost anything but has said as the tree has come down it has also knocked his conifer trees branches.should I pay any amount to him in terms of the £500 I have offered? Or should I just offer a repair again?
He has sent me a letter again demanding £1300 This time, and to have a matter settled by 22 September 2017 or he will take alternative action.
What should I do?
would it make a difference that it is not able to be repaired, I think he may have mentioned this cant be repaired but this was on initial talks about this a few weeks after the incident

The Court wouldnt seek costs if they think you have been reasonable. He isnt entitled to compensation if you are offering to put everything right. Offer the repair again.

Does that clarify?

If that fails as he would then not accept a repair.
Should I continue to discuss with him as he is no longer the owner of the property.0

No, as you say, he isnt the owner!
Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Should I send the neighbour a letter or should I deal with the owner of the property only? As he is no longer the owner

New owner. Its nothing to do with existing one now.

Does that clarify?

Hiya
If I rate does the question be completed.
Reason being I have received a letter from the courts.
For a claim of £1370
Could you advise me of any next steps?

the question does not close. I can assist further if you rate.

Could we finish prior to rating you?

Sure. You now need to file a defence, saying why you are not liable.

You do this for the reasons we have discussed. It will then go before a Judge who will say whether you are liable.

Your defence is based on this person is now not the owner and sold it on.

Does that clarify?