How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9147
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for a conveyancer or solicitor to advise us on

Customer Question

Hi there! I am looking for a conveyancer or solicitor to advise us on the legalities of a proposed extension to our purpose-built, share of freehold maisonette. We share the freehold with the owner of the ground floor below.
and want to find out about the legalities, process and cost indication of the legal fees should we wish to convert up into the loft space which is demised to us in our lease, to ourselves as freeholders. Very confusing!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: We are in Croydon, South London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not as yet, we have simply asked for permission from the other freeholder, the owner of the downstairs flat
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That the concerns of the downstairs flat owner and co-freeholder seem to be purely about the legalities and the change of value/percentage of ownership etc etc. he feels it will tie us all up in red tape and costs. Plus the fact that we believe our current lease should probably be renewed anyway as it is sub 80 years and we will probably battle to release the equity we require from the bank if our lease is as low as that...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

I would be very happy to help you with this. From what you say it would be necessary to review your freehold and leasehold titles as well as your lease. Do you have these documents to hand?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
however my partner is the one who has all the necessary details and I am not sure if she is available right now - how does the charging system work? do I have to pay each time we chat or per inquiry?
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 month ago.

Could you kindly confirm your email address?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 month ago.

Many thanks