UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

My company says any expense claims not paid within 60 days…

Customer Question
Hi. My company says...

Hi. My company says any expense claims not paid within 60 days wI'll be rejected. I have some claims older than 60 days. Can the LEGALLT refuse to pay? Or is there any law I can use to force them to pay? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?

UK

Lawyer's Assistant: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?

I've put in the claim and it has been rejected. I've asked my manager to authorise them but my manager says they can't 'due to policy'

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: UK Law
9/14/2017
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you been formally made aware of this policy in the past?

I was given the policy in writing when I joined the company

Expenses are a contractual debt, they are not wages, which means their payment is determined by internal terms and policies. So if you are incurring an expense during your employment, you are doing so based on the relevant policies which deal with their reimbursement. It is common for an employer to have conditions which require expense claims to be submitted within a certain time after they have been incurred. If the employee fail to satisfy these conditions, the employer can legally refuse to pay them. That is not unlawful as it is done in accordance with a specific policy, which you would have been aware of and which you would have been expected to follow if you were incurring expenses. So whilst this is money which originally was owed to you, if you have not followed the specific conditions required of you to claim them, then the debt can be ‘written off’ so to speak and the employer would have no further liability in paying these expenses to you as a result. There is nothing stopping you from raising this issue internally, such as through a grievance, but legally it would be unlikely to be a matter you can take any further than that.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer