Maverick
Maverick, Advocate
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience
16823287

I am delivering by hand an important document marked private

Customer Question

I am delivering by hand an important document marked private and confidential. Has this any standing in law
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: It is a medical situation. Initially I was asking for a female GP . I was told to write to the partners. The answer which was unsatisfactory cam from a doctor in the practice who was not a partner
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 month ago.

It has the effect of putting the receiver on notice of privacy rights that are enforceable by law. The test used to determine breach of confidence, as reiterated in Campbell v Mirror Group Newspapers Ltd is whether the information disclosed was of a confidential nature and whether there was a reasonable expectation of privacy. Here, the English House of Lords drew attention to the distinction between identifying whether information is private and identifying whether it is proportionate to prevent disclosure of such information, having regard to the competing Convention right of freedom of expression (Article 10).

Did this answer your question?

Please Note:

(1) This information is for educational purposes only and it may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. It is not guaranteed to be correct or complete and you should not act or fail to act based on this information alone. This and all other Just Answer disclaimers also apply to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating. Thank you for using Just Answer.