How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9147
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think someone has illegally looked at my police record and

Customer Question

Hi. I think someone has illegally looked at my police record and passed the information on. What can I do about this?
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: This is in the Uk. I had a call from a an ex boyfriend saying that they knew information about me which could only be held on a police computer as I did not make it common knowledge. Who could have access to this? And if it was a police officer is it an offence that he has looked and my information and passed it on? They have gone as far to actually send confidential text messages that were part of the police investigation
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet I would like to know an answer to my question first
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Hi - please explain exactly what sort of information has been accessed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My ex boyfriend of two years ago had an issue where he reported me for harassment when I was pregnant and trying to speak to him about our baby. My phone was taken by police and downloaded and there was a court case and a restraining order. This information seems to hve been accessed and passed on to my new boyfriend who has been passed copies of messages and police reports and knows the court case and outcome. My ex boyfriend lives in another country now so there is no way he could have given this information and I did not tell any family and friends. What can be done/is this illegal if a police officer has accessed my record and passed this on?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't wish to make a phone call please just respond here
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

Are you in the UK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 month ago.

How do you know he has the records?