How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34263
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Story short, I was abused by my step father as a child,

Customer Question

Long story short, I was abused by my step father as a child, eventually kicked out at a young age. My mum passed away, and my full blood brother was left with my step dad, court gave step dad power of being a guardian as this would disturb the child less... My step dad since has not let me or anybody blood related to my brother see him. I have gone to mediation, social services, school, teachers. No luck. I recently got in contact with him via social media, and told me that he is being physically abused and hates living there, he is literally treated like a slave in the house. I told him I could help via police, social service.. but he said he is too scared to say anything he is out of the house, and knows he won't have to go back to him.
My question is if he runs away will he be made to go back at the age of 16?
Due to the nature of this situation much of his actions happens behind closed doors, What sort of evidence would we need to take him to court for abuse?
Can I get a restraining order from step dad for me and my brother?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is your brother at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 16 years old.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 month ago.

In that case he is entitled to leave home if he wishes and he cannot be forced to return.

If he came to live with you then you can apply for child maintenance from his father - and if your step-father does try and harass you then you would be able to obtain a Non Molestation Order

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Clare
In regards ***** ***** this would be done without consent and secretly. Would my brother's first course of action report to the police to tell them that he is safe? And would I or any relatives be in trouble for aiding or supporting my brother?
And in the first post I asked What sort of evidence would we need to take him to court for abuse? (most things have happened behind closed doors with little to no proof, I have a small amount of proof in my circumstance, however I doubt my brother does)
Thank you.