UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

The Education Act of 1996 section 444 (1), I have read this

Customer Question
The Education Act of 1996...
The Education Act of 1996 section 444 (1) , I have read this act and it refers to the "parent" of the child throughout the act. My understanding of the act means that the parent is responsible. I have received a letter warning me that i will be issued a fied penalty notice for none attendance of my sister. The letter referes to her as "my child". My mother is her legal guardian as this has never been assigned to me. The child (aged 15) to which the letter refers is subject to an ongoing investigation by social services, who may be applying for a court order under a relevant act to have her removed. They are fully aware of her none attendance at school. The school that she attends are aware of this and are also aware that I am not her parent. The letter refers to her as "my child" even though the school are aware that she is not. What is my position in this case, I wish to respond to the letter, or is it best left to the Social services to respond. The ltter infers that within the statutory period of notice, that I will be liable for a fine and/or court proceedings, would I be liable? How do I respond to this letter.
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: It is in Barnsley South Yorkshire, the act applies to all schools in England
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No but intend to on Monday and the social worker will be discussing her case at a meeting on Tuesday, but will be making a visit to my house on monday.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no than you
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: UK Law
9/10/2017
Solicitor: Michael Holly, Solicitor replied 2 months ago
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor

Under the Act a "parent" includes someone who has care of the child in question as well as those who are natural parents or have parental responsibility.

As such if you have care of your sister then you would be caught by this definition. Whether you have care depends on your family circumstances , if you take an active role in your sisters life particularly as far as social services are concerned then you would fall into that category.

Why is she not attending school?

Michael

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer