Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Have conviction now 37 years old under shengen agreement

have conviction now 37 years old under shengen agreement will spain be able to see this conviction on a police database happened in uk
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?
Customer: happened in uk in 1977
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: have police record in uk got 3 years changed to probation on appeal
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: been traveling to spain for last 17 years with no issues but now spain do checks not sure if will show up

No, but they can request the details from the UK.

It must be said that mostly these requests are ignored even for very serious offending though.

The mature European countries were a bit more organised but Spain is not a particularly respected member. The emerging countries of Europe are completely chaotic.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are saying it is very unlucky it would be picked up even with the shengen aggreement and i would have no need to worry

No.

The Spanish police are entitled to ask for this information.

Probably they won't.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should go ahead with holiday as had no prblems in last 17 years going to spain been clean for 37 years never been on any sort of license or register so shouldnt pa ic over this

Well, why would Spain be interested in this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just me worrying when said police can access to your police data thought might not be allowed in if got conviction under this shengen aggrement but not so worried now thanks

They don't usually even ask unless you are accused of committing an offence in the target country.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very helpfull will go enjoy my holiday

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/