Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Our General Manager has Scheduled an after Office Hours

Hi Our General Manager has Scheduled an after Office Hours Meeting. At that time, the Office would have been closed for Half an Hour. What does the law say about this? What are my rights?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: London, United Kingdom
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Our working hours are 9AM to 6PM, with an hours break, and no payment for Overtime

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Does your contract state you could be asked to attend meetings outside of normal working hours or be asked to work overtime as needed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, the following is from the HandBook
"1.3 Flexible Job Duties
There could be times when the employee would be required to undertake some
additional tasks, duties and responsibilities within the capacities of their employment.
The Company reserves the right to vary an employee’s tasks, duties and job
responsibilities at any time, but the employee will not be required to perform any
services that they either cannot perform or which is clearly outside their range of
experience and know-how. If such a change is required, then the employee will be
notified in writing in due time.There may also be times when employees are asked to change to an alternative job
within the Company. If this occurs, then once it has been agreed with the employee,
the employee will be notified in writing.""2.3 Overtime
The Company does not support ongoing overtime as part of standard practice. All
employees should be able to complete their role within their specified working hours.
If for any reason the employee believes that they are constantly unable to complete
their allocated tasks within those hours, please discuss the matter with your Manager.If overtime is required due to operational demands, then the Company will, in
reasonable advance, provide you with notification of the hours and workload
required. If the employee is unable to comply with this request, then the Manager will
need to be notified in due time."

Is this the first time it has happened?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, yes it is; at least since I've been working at the Organisation

and how long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In approx. 3 months time, I would have been here for 1 Year

Generally the employer would need something in the contract to allow them to ask you to attend meetings outside of normal working hours. Whilst there is nothing specific in the handbook, it does say they may ask you to work overtime which can potentially include coming in for additional time for work or meetings. Also the employer could say it is a reasonable request to ask that, and usually it will be seen as one, as long as it is not done too often.

The issue here is that you have less than 2 years’ service. You have no protection against unfair dismissal which means thy can dismiss you for more or less any reason, including refusing to attend the meeting. So whilst you may be able to try and argue that there is nothing concrete in the contract allowing them to request your attendance out of hours, the flip side is that they can just dismiss you instead, which obviously you want to avoid. So bear that in mind when deciding how much to challenge it.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, that's understandable.Do you have knowledge on Driving Laws?

sadly not, sorry