Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I run a sporting group which is a members only group. We

Hello, I run a sporting group which is a members only group. We have been contacted by someone with a disability and have asked the to allow us time to better understand what reasonable adjustments need to be made. They have threatened to go to the press unless we admit them immediately. Firstly does that count as blackmail? Secondly how long do we have to find/make reasonable adjustments?
JA: Does the disability limit any major life activities?
Customer: We run a contact sport and they are legally blind.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: So far it has only been email correspondance
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am operating in the UK.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

I assume this person is not currently a member? Can anyone join the group generally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They are not currently a member. We have an application and approval process for members to join. This isn't a drop in class like a Zumba session etc. We require membership so we can cover these people on our insurance.

Ok - they cant demand immediate membership. Its not blackmail as such because that is demanding money and threatening harm. But clearly they are not a desirable person and this may be a reason to reject membership.

There is no time limit for reasonable adjustments, but the law says you have to be reasonable.

So you can't take years, for example.

But if they are saying let me in now, or I will go to the press - this could be grounds for refusing. But make it clear its on the basis of their ACTIONS and NOT their disability.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They have sent another email this morning stating if we do not arrange to meet with the by the end of the week they will go to the press and publicise that we are discriminating against them. Should we issue a refusal of entry due to their attitude?

Yes you can do that. But make sure as I said, its because of their action, not the disability.

They can not dictate how you run the club.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do just want to check that this is correct according to UK law and legislation.

Yes indeed. It is correct. But you cant discriminate on the grounds of disability.

That is why you can refuse them because of their actions (going to press), rather than disability

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does. Thank you for your help.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!