UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I got my bank account blocked because my landlord refunded…

I got my bank...

I got my bank account blocked because my landlord refunded my security deposit.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has a refund request been made in writing?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The bank asked me to contact my landlord to call the bank and verify the payment before my account will be unlocked

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am stranded in the United States on travel, I live in the UK, the bank is Barclays

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer?

No. I haven't

8/12/2017
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How come the bank account was blocked?

What has Barclays said?

Thank you Jamie. Barclays said I should tell my landlord to call them to verify they actually sent me the money and until then, they cannot unblock my account

Have you called them? Have you called your branch?
How much was the deposit?

I sent my landlord (the agent, it's the agent that processed the refund) an email. I called the Barclays customer service and that's when they informed me to contact my agent
The deposit was 1403 british pounds

Ok - is that sum unusual for your account? Did you tell Barclays in advance it was coming?

The sum is not unusual so I didn't inform my bank earlier. I get a monthly salary more than that so didn't think this was unusual

Ok - can you get hold of the Landlord/Agent?

The agency is closed now. I sent them an email earlier but no reply

Ok. I can give you the legal answer, but it may end up be quicker getting the agency.

The legal answer would be you can seek an emergency injunction.

You would need to instruct a Barrister to do this directly:

www.clerksroomdirect.com

www.mybarrister.co.uk

But if you did it yourself you would need to complete form N1:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf

N16a:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n016a-eng.pdf

You would need to send it to the Royal Courts of Justice and arrange a telephone urgent injunction on:

(###) ###-####6000 or(###) ###-####6260 (dont forget +44 if outside the UK).

They would get it to a 24 hour Judge who can make the order.

Then, if accepted, Barclays MUST release it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

It will definitely be easier to contact the agency but I'm wondering if there are grounds for them to pay a compensation? Seems arbitrary that someone merely transferring money to my account should cause my account to be blocked?

Well its probably in their terms and conditions they can suspend the account if they dont know the source of funds.

That is why you should always tell them if anything larger than a few hundred £ is going in

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Hmm.. that helps. Thanks

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face at the bottom of the screen, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor