UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I purchased a fridge freezer from a company Appliance deals

Customer Question
U.K. It stopped working after...
I purchased a fridge freezer from a company Appliance deals U.K. It stopped working after two and a half years and an engineer from the manufacturer of the fridge was called out to investigate. He confirmed it was broken and I would need to buy a new one. He also conceded that it may have always been faulty from the beginning but he was unable to tell for sure. The callout cost £120. I had a standard 1 year warenty and five years guarantee for parts. As the warenty had run out they said I would have to buy a new fridge freezer. This does not seem right to me as one would reasonably expect a fridge freezer to last more than two and half years and the fact it broke after such a short time suggests the product was not fit for purpose. I don't know how to prove if the fridge freezer was faulty when it was installed at the start, and I have to move quickly and replace and dispose of the old one as this is for a rented flat that is currently occupied by a tenant so I am unlikely to be able to carry out an independent investigation. Also do I take my argument to the supplier or the manufacturer?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: UK Law
8/3/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Your claim is against the supplier only.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor