UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I went onto omegle one night after a few drinks and someone…

Customer Question
Hi. I went onto omegle...
Hi. I went onto omegle one night after a few drinks and someone popped up on the tag 'older.' (I'm 26, for reference.) They asked if I wanted to 'trade nudes on kik.' I said 'maybe but also just chat.' The person said 'F17' then asked for my kik username. I never talk to anyone under 18 online and I must have misread it as 27, I was very tired too after coming home late. I got a message on kik saying that the girl was 'from the same place as me' (I had said where I was from.' Then another message asking for a pic of my face and my privates. I said i don't show my face, but sent the other pic (very stupid, I know.) As soon as I sent it, I got a massive copied and pasted message saying the chat had been reported to the American Courts. There was a lot of text, some in Japanese. There was a part about the IP and lots of other information. It said I had to 'message (another username) so I could get a reduced sentence.' Then another message was sent saying something like 'You are free to ignore this, but the girl who owns this account is real.'There was no 'dirty chat', there was no flirting, no 'asking to meet up' or anything. I never requested, nor received pics of the person on the other end of the conversation. I never gave my email address, name, or any contact details. I also didn't click on any links that may have been in the long message I was sent. As soon as I received the big long message, I muted, blocked, deleted the chat. I signed out of kik, deleted the app, turned off my phone and even cleared it completely the next day. I have scarcely been online since this happened.
This was around a month ago, but I thankfully haven't heard anything from anyone about this. However, I have been living in fear every day that something about this will come up. What I'm asking is:
Could I be in any real trouble and could someone still get in touch about this? I have never done anything like this before and I'll never do it ever again. I've heard about a lot of blackmail scams on kik and this sounds like one. I was just wondering what your input on this would be?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: UK Law
8/1/2017
Solicitor: RobertJDFL,
 replied 9 months ago

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Solicitor: RobertJDFL,
 replied 9 months ago

Just realized you are in the U.K. I'll opt out and ask a moderator to move this question from the U.S. legal category.

Thank you. Apologies, I tried to find the correct section to post my question, I must have misread it.
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 9 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Its a scam, I would not worry about this.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thank you for your reply. The day after I posted this question, I met with a legal advisor in person and they were able to talk to me in great detail about this situation and were able to provide me with advice on how to proceed.
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor