Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
13262538

Would a proxy marriage be legal in uk if one party (who is

Customer Question

Hi would a proxy marriage be legal in uk if one party (who is uk citizen ) marries by proxy in turkey while her partner remains in uk (he is iraqi national but with no right to remain in uk ) .woukd this marriage allow them to apply for residence for the husband ? Regards Aisha
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We are in scotland
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: Partner has failed to be awarded asylum in uk. We want to both remain in uk to have a family
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

I am afraid that such a marriage would NOT be legal in the UK

In any event even if you marry legally here in the UK your partner would have to leave the UK to apply for a Spouse visa

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We cannot marry in the UK because he doesn't have legal status in the UK . This is why we want to try proxy marriage . If marriage took place in another country where it was legal would it not be valid in the UK ? I've heard of people doing this and then being able to apply for spouse visa after .
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My fiance is concerned about leaving the uk and not being able to get back in . He is afraid to go back to his country and can go to Turkey but can only remain there for 30 days with E visa
Expert:  Clare replied 2 months ago.

I am afraid that since neither of you are Turkish there is no possibility of a Proxy marriage being seen as legal.

Ina addition you can only apply for a spouse visa within the UK if you are already here legally which your partner is not.

It will take more than 30 days to apply for a spouse visa I am afraid