Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Iv been charged with 4 counts of assault by beating. I'm

Iv been charged with 4 counts of assault by beating. I'm accused of hitting a 25yr old male in a pub and then his girlfriend and her cousin attacked me, I apparently bit one of the girls fingers and pulled the others hair in a desperate bid to stop them. I'm then accused of when leaving the pub throwing a punch at the barmaid. I'm so ashamed of myself as to add to all this I was so drunk I cannot remember a thing. My only recollection is holding both girls by there hair so they couldn't hit me.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Derby, England
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: Iv been charged with 4 counts of assault and I'm to appear before the magistrates court in 3 weeks to enter my plea. I want the whole thing to be dropped.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Iv been told on good authority that the lad I apparently hit and the barmaid do not want to take this any further. There is no cctv just witness statements taken in the night

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to know where I stand and the most likely outcome.

Do you have any previous?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
quite a lot ranging from threatening behaviours to assaulting a police officer, about 12 counts all in all but all 10+ years ago

On what basis do you say they should drop it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No cctv and maybe 3 out of the 4 accusers aren't even going to turn up at court

Ok - well it wont be dropped on that basis.

If they dont turn up at trial then you will be found not guilty. If there is no CCTV that does not make any difference to whether you will be prosecuted.

There was no CCTV for example in the Rolf Harris case but he was still prosecuted.

Without seeing all the evidence its hard to say what the outcome is.

But on the basis the majority of witnesses wont attend I think you will be found not guilty.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is it possible for the accusers to retract there statements or should they just stay quiet and not turn up at court so as to avoid receiving a witness summons?

Retraction is saying it is not true and they have made it up.

I assume that is not what you are saying, just that they dont suppose the prosecution. Yes, they can give a statement saying they dont support it.

They can stay quiet so not to get a summons

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you

All the best.