How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nick H Your Own Question
Nick H
Nick H, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 113
Experience:  Ten year qualified Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Nick H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I habe been claiming carers allowance unaware that it is a

Customer Question

I habe been claiming carers allowance unaware that it is a income to be declared with tax credits as I thought these two benefits were linked. I have been studying full time and working part time which tax credits were aware of however not realising carers allowance was dealt with differently. I feel so stupid and now I've been called into my local office for an interview with a compliance officer. I'm a parking I started to Google things and this is how I've became aware of way I have done which is totally by mistake. I have just qualified as a nurse and during this time have made all the necessary changes to tax credits still not aware of careers allowance being a different department. I'm going to owe thousands back and I'm scared of going to prison I have a daughter who suffers with stress and eating problems and don't want this to effect her again and I have a daughter doing gcse. I am afraid I'm going to prison and will lose my job for a totally stupid unaware mistake
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wales
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I have an interview in two weeks
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I'm just so scared
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Nick H replied 4 months ago.


I am sorry - this happens all the time.

Bills are sent out on a speculative basis.

I could explain for hours.

However, the upside is that the strong likelihood is that the file will be closed.

Tell them that you were unaware and that you are trying to make ends meet. Even if they look tough they will very likely not pursue and if they do come back to me.

Be strong - it will be fine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi NickThanks but this as occurred for three years I totally was unaware of this situation and I can not recall any letters which have reminded me of this as I've made the correct changes with tax credits and if I were aware I would have done the same with carers allowance. I am afraid of losing my job as a nurse could this happen
Expert:  Nick H replied 4 months ago.

Hello again

Your job is completely safe.

To put things in perspective for you.

I was written to recently with a claim for many thousands of pounds - apparently for an overpayment of tax credits.

I have never claimed tax credits.

It was something to do with my ex partner, who had contacted them some years back apparently and the file had been closed.

They sent me this letter almost as a try out - absolutely no grounds for me to pay - but concerning to me - let alone to a non lawyer.

This is happening quite a lot and it is not a good state of affairs.

If you are very concerned then send a solicitors letter by registered post.

Do not stress about it - though I know that is difficult.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
but I have been claiming whilst working although it's a complete oversight on my behalf I think i owe them around 18000.00 will i go to prison and lose my job as a nurse for this amount
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you help please
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please could you 're read my question your answer doesn't seem to match my question