Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I was hired for a VP of Marketing (left my previous role as

Customer Question

Hi, I was hired for a VP of Marketing (left my previous role as a VP of Marketing to join for a similar role (contract mentions my jobtitle) and in the first week of my employment I was announced as a Manager. Which is 2 levels down. What can i do ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Germany
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I asked kindly for a correction of the announcement , but nothing happened
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Has this resulted in a reduction in pay?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No but I clearly see this as damaging my reputation. No one would go back from a VP to a Manager role voluntarily. i would have never signed a contract with this title. They tricked me out of my previous job with the offer of a VP Position which is written in my contract and then only had a "Manager position" available and announced against my contract.

Thank you. There are a couple of potential angles here. Both will be based on breach of contract although one is less likely than the other.

Initially, you would be arguing that the employer has breached your contract by not honouring the post which you were promised at the outset. However, if the only thing is a change in title and your pay remains the same, with no other financial losses, a claim would be difficult. That is because a breach of contract claim only really allows you to get compensation for any losses which you had suffered as a result of the breach.

The other angle is that whilst this is the same breach, your losses are based on you having to give up a stable job with a good title, for this. Therefore, had you know that you would be placed in the role they have put you in now, you would not have taken up the job. Therefore, there are no immediately identifiable losses, however you could try and pursue them for any potential losses you may incur in the future for having to leave this position and then seek alternative employment. So you may not necessarily wish to make the claim now as you will not know what such losses will be, but do it once you have a better idea of these. You have 6 years in which to claim so no immediate rush.

Of course, legal action should only be a last resort so in the first instance you should try and resolve these issues directly with the employer. Do not hesitate to threaten legal action in your negotiations with them if necessary.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you are to make a claim against them. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, my response should be visible on this page. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you