How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70289
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother, who pays no rent and makes no contribution to

This answer was rated:

My brother, who pays no rent and makes no contribution to the household expenses, has recently been caught stealing from my mother, whose house he is living in. This is not the first time but this is just too much for an elderly lady. She wants him to go and find somewhere of his own to live. Is it still the case that we can just give him a notice to quit with a reasonable notice period, of say one month, or has the law changed in these sorts of cases?
JA: Do you share ownership of the property? If so, is it as tenants in common, or as joint tenants?
Customer: No, it is mother's property in her sole name.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She will not report him to the Police, but we have had to talk to the bank about the latest theft.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think there is anything else.

how old is he?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

She just needs to give notice in writing of no less than an 28 days.

He is not a tenants. He is not really even a lodger. He is just a guest and can be asked to leave at any time but it is always better to give notice as then you are doing more than the law requires.

If he doesn't go then she can just wait until he is out and change the locks and leave his property outside.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts. Most useful. I don't have anything further that I need to ask.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile