How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to find a solicitor to sign a single status

This answer was rated:

I'm trying to find a solicitor to sign a single status statutory declaration to get married in Cyprus and am having trouble finding one who will do this
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: UK, we are opposite sex marriage, he's divorced, I'm single, we are British
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I've rang 4 solicitors locally who said they did not or could not do it, so I'm trawling the net to seek advice
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, except the wedding is end of June, the declaration needs to be no more than 3 months old so that's ok

I think what you will find as happened is that they don’t have a standard document (there is not one) and hence they are not interested in doing it because it involves work! If you took the certificate to them to have it sworn, they get 5 pounds pocket money for each document and it takes two minutes so they would be keen to do it if you have the document.

Each of you need to have your own Single Status Statutory Declaration confirming that you are free to get married and that there is no impediment.

The Declarations should include your name, address, nationality, religion, passport number and occupation; state whether single, divorced or widowed; that you intend to marry in Cyprus; and be signed and stamped by a UK solicitor, stating -solicitor' on the document. They must be sworn in front of a solicitor.

You have to get the declarations drafted by one solicitors firm or do them yourself and then take them to another firm to have them sworn. They cannot be done at the same firm.

If you are a Scottish national then you should obtain a Certificate of No Impediment from the local registry office in place of the Declaration.

Here is the same thing from one particular website:

If you want me to assist you with drafting the declarations, I can do this for a fixed fee as an additional service £50. All you would need to do would be to fill in the gaps and then take them to a local firm of solicitors to get sworn which is done from a fixed fee of 5 pound each.

Stuart J and 4 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response, everything you have said I did know from research on the net, but its interesting to get it confirmed. I do have a Statutory Declaration from a Wedding Planner from Cyprus which I can fill in. Are you saying we just need to pop into any family solicitor and they will sign it? If that's the case I will do that, but I've talked to a few solicitor offices today who didn't even mention that this is all I needed to do so I'm a bit confused. Thank you