UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

Last year, Pembrokeshire county council wrote to me to

Customer Question
'consult' with me regarding planning...
Last year, Pembrokeshire county council wrote to me to 'consult' with me regarding planning permission for a travellers caeavan site next door to my property. I wrote back to voice my concerns , I was ignored and the permission was granted. I am now trying to sell the property and have been unable to sell after 18 months even at £50,000 below market value of £287,000 as advised by estate agent . I have tried auction too on two occasions without success. Can I take legal action against the council for compensation
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
3/24/2017
Solicitor: JimLawyer, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor

Hi there, the Council seem to be guilty of ignoring you and this has resulted in travellers being allowed to situate themselves next to your property. As a result, your property value has diminished and the council were on notice of that possibility. They have not consulted you properly and I feel that you could sue them for the reduced value of the property. You would need a report from a property valuation expert before suing. I would secure such a report and then speak to a local firm of solicitors to issue a claim against the council. You could try to speak to the council first and see if they would offer you compensation before taking legal advice.