How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have been overpaid by £18000 over 3 months. No pay slips

This answer was rated:

We have been overpaid by £18000 over 3 months. No pay slips have been issued, I have left the employment, what should I do?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, do you have a reply yet?

Yes, I sent you a reply earlier but it appears that it did not register. I will re-type it now...thank you for your patience.....

Where an employer has made an accidental overpayment of wages, the statutory position is that the employer can recover this by deducting the overpayment from future wages or salary. This is covered by s.14 of the Employment Rights Act 1996. In your case, if you wait 6 years and just deposit the money in a bank account, the employer will lose the right to sue for a refund after that time. But this is a catch 22 situation because if you spend the money now or even after the six years, it is a crime. So, the best recourse is to work out a settlement in writing with the employer either now or after the 6 years.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do they have to sort out my pension and tax?

Yes, they have to make those adjustments for you if you report it now.

Please remember to assign a feedback rating on this if we are done so that Just Answer will pay me. Thank you.

Maverick and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you