Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have had a new back door fitted by a carpenter which I

Hi. I have had a new back door fitted by a carpenter which I have been unhappy with the finished product. We never managed to agree the resolution (the door was not sighted in the middle of the doorway and was actually smaller than we had wanted). The carpenter offered to fix the centralling (but not the size) for an additional sum, which we felt was unfair. So we didn't pay the final installment for the door (there was 3 installments in total). The carpenter didn't pursue us and we assumed they had accepted that they wouldn't get paid for the works that were not acceptable. But recently we had a letter from a solicitor asking for the payment.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: London UK
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I offered to settle for about half of the amount outstanding but they havent accepted
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is owing please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1300 GBP. The solicitor suggested paying 1000 to settle it and in reply I offered 500 which they refused.

You should reply back and say that he has breached the Consumer Rights Act 2015 by doing a poor job. As such you are offering £500 in full and final settlement, failing which they can take you to Court.

They wont as its costing him £200 an hour for a Solicitor and so already spent £300 or so!

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That sounds like a good plan. I will write back immediately.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!