UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

A conversation I was pRt of has been recorded by a third

Customer Question
person, without the consent or...
A conversation I was pRt of has been recorded by a third person, without the consent or knowledge of myself and the other party in the conversation.
JA: Are you in the UK or are you in the States?
Customer: Uk
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: this person via the other party threatened to play the tape to my husband newspapers and church if I did not agre to certain actions. This person then withdrew this to the church and said it was a miss understanding no recording existed. Now the other party to the conversation has verbally confirmed to me a recording did exist and he deleted and and there was a transcript which he claims they destroyed. What action should I take
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: UK Law
12/7/2016
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is the third party someone you personally know?

Also, what are you ideally hoping for so that I can advise you of your options?

I know both parties. A man and his wife
The wife is claiming an affair between us, which we both deny as it has not happened, but we have had to work together often on church business.
To protect myself from this being used against me now and in the future.
I don't have access to a phone for several days. Away from home on holiday.
Ben are you still there

Hi there. Apologies for the slight delay and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

I have referred this to a criminal lawyer as there could be potential blackmail issue here. they will be in touch with you in due course, thank you

Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 11 months ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Hi. I have been asked to look at this.

What is it that you have been asked to do?

Hello had IT problem so you may have this answe twice
I was asked to move out of the Benefice so that I would work in a different parish completely. Otherwise the recording would be played to my husband archdeacon and newspapers. The party who did the recording then retracted this In a meeting with the archdeacon and said no recording had been made it was all a miss understanding. The person who made the recording was not the person who instructed me to leave the Benefice, that was her husband and the party whom I had the conversation with and neither of us knew it was being recorded by his wife. When he gave me these instructions I did not miss understand anything as I engaged him in conversation and got him to repeat it three times and then I repeated it back to him to make sure I fully understood what was being said as it was such a serious matter. He agreed that I had understood what was being said correctly. Having done that I said no and I reported the matter to the archdeaconA few days ago I was informed that a recording had existed which they had deleted and a transcript was made which they had burnt. At first I was told the recording was on a iPhone and then a few days ago it was on a dictaphone
I do not want to cause trouble for the church as I have worked here a long time, but I would like to understand what my position is, and what action, if any I can take to protect myself now and for the future should I choose to do this.
Sadly as all of these conversations were face to face and without witness I am unable to give substantive or documentary evidence to support my side of things

Would there be any financial loss or gain if you had to work in a different area?

No, as my role as licensed lay minister is largely unpaid, although I can claim expenses. Although I may not be able to in a different parish and this would be then be at my cost. There will be reputational damage to myself and my husband. Particularly as this couple have had to have special leave for three months and when coming back to work have issued a statement citing serious marital issues if I am moved or have to move then this puts my integrity into question. We live in small rural villages and gossip that would flow from this will have an impact
Hello. please respond with you advice on my problem it has been 10 days since I have heard from you
You say you have answere my question, but your answer is not here. Please resend
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer