F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years in General Practice
18203470

Maybe I did'nt make myself clear In my commercial property

Customer Question

Hi maybe I did'nt make myself clear In my commercial property there is a 3 phase meter.The meter is an electro mechanical design reading from left to right there are 6 dials for all my experience I have read the first five numbers and ignored the last dial marked1/10 with the vernier scale adjacent The energy company name not important right now is insisting that all numbers are read thus increasing the kWh recorded by the power of ten resulting in irroneous bills.So when questioned about their reasons for this they say it's because you have a 3 phase meter not a single phase meter?. But I know that the only difference is that the 3 phases feed into the meter and consumption is read and recorded and the meter is slightly bigger than a single phase to accept the three tails. Looking on the internet all the companies that are listing how to read a 6 dial meter have explanation or visual data agreeing with my understanding yet my energy company have a computer generated bunch of 6 numbers saying all numbers are to be recorded no mention of 3 phase. This problem as been going on 3 years and now the ombudsman is still agreeing with the energy co concerned despite the fact on the 28/4/16 I instructed a local electrical contractor to install a smartrail meter to assess and compare.The boss of the company told me that the results of this meter could not be argued against in a court of law but the ombudsman is ignoring this fact? saying that he cannot tell the energy company to read the dial meter five numbers and the smart meter cannot be used against in support of my claim.I am at my wits end with this fiasco and have said that if I don't get satisfaction I will install a generator and wind turbine and disconnect from the grid and su the energy co.I think that is all my details can you comment
Category: UK Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

I thought all dial meters had long since disappeared.

The final dial was never read as that was in tenths which is the point you make.

So, if the reading was 1234.5, which, rounded down in the old system would be a reading of 1234, (one thousand two hundred and thirty four) what they are now saying is that the reading should be 12, 345, (twelve thousand three hundred and forty five)?

You say that this results in erroneous bills. In fact, it only results in one erroneous bill which is the bill when it jumps from 1000 to 12,000 because there afterwards, unless I’m missing something, the readings just follow on correctly.

What has happened in the interim with regard to the huge bill which would have ensued at one point or have you just been paying the amount which isn’t in dispute?

When did they actually come to this monumental decision? How much money is in issue?

If my understanding is correct, please tell me and I will give you a suggestion as to how to deal with this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi there are 6 dials the last to the right is in 1/10 decimal places under that dial is one indicating one kWh which is added on to the next dial in tenths this Siemans meter is clearly marked with a vernier scale to show it is not a whole number and as I know and everybody but British Gas and seemingly the ombudsman.All the energy companies online info pages describe honestly how a electro mechanical 6 dial meter should be read but BG show a computer generated bunch of 6 numbers that as no vernier scale nor does it have a coloured line between the fifth and sixth dial.Prior to 2013 the bills nn
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry just touched the send button by accident as I was typing the bills before 2013 read 5 numbers and the billing was correct and we have been in these premises since 2007 with no probs before but since May 2013 the bills altered to read 6 dials and bills rocketed.We have fitted since April this year a smart meter which completely repudiates all BG claims on consumption.We asked for a formal independent meter determination by the NMO this was arranged but no one ever showed from BG or the NMO when I emailed them and threatened legal action a man rang my company and said there was no need for it.Today is the last day in respect of our appeal with ombudsman before is ruling at my wits end with this fiasco fraud fraud fraud all the way I have prepared info for action fraud website do I submit Regards ***** *****.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi can you send me a correct phone number thanks John my mobole
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi can you send me a correct phone number I would like to speak to you my mobile is***********thanks John.

I was off-line all day yesterday. I see that you would like a telephone call. If you can let me know what time is convenient today for you, I will endeavour to call around that time.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Call me anytime now before 4 pm my mobile no is***********

Hello. The telephone link expired.

Can you please re-accept and I will call you?