Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

The drag lift is there documented evidence to prove the

Customer Question

Hello the drag lift is there documented evidence to prove the illegality of the drag lift please
JA: What state is this in? And can you tell me a little more about the charge?
Customer: England
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I am a trainer and need evidence to present to care homes and hospitals that unless in emergency situstion this is wrong
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 9 months ago.

Good evening. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing illegal about the drag lift. It may be not suitable in certain circumstances particularly if someone is of a frail disposition or of ample proportions and in cases like that, it may be negligent to use the method rather than hoist and cradle.

The other problem drag lifting of course is that it could not only cause injury and discomfort to the resident, it can also cause injury to the person doing the lifting and there are many incidences of that.

So, whilst it’s not recommended in many places, it isn’t actually illegal.

There is a lot of commentary on the Internet about this in here is one in particular where they are saying that the use of this technique could have dislocated a lady shoulders.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8379697.stm

In my opinion therefore (unless I’m losing the point of your question) it’s a case of giving them all the reason why it shouldn’t be used including injury to the person doing the lifting, injury and discomfort to the resident, and the risk of a substantial insurance claim in respect of any injury caused as a result of using the method.

I’m not certain whether that answers the question for you or not but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please do not forget to use the rating service to rate my answer positively. If you don’t rate it positively I don’t get paid.

You may get the impression that the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards this