How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 4339
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Wickes approved installer, or at least I was since 2

Customer Question

Hello, I am a Wickes approved installer, or at least I was since 2 weeks ago when the Regional Installation Manager called to let me know I'll be removed from their list. That's fine with me as I stopped taking jobs from them anyway. My problem is they haven't paid me for the last at least 5 jobs, plus substantial remedial works from before. They owe me now about £14.000 or more. The manager said he blocked all payments to my account as there are some disputes with some of the clients I installed the kitchen/bathroom, although the jobs were completed and documents signed by client. I thought I'll wait for some time and they'll release the payments, it is over 2 months waiting now and still no payment. I need to recover my money, I'm managing my small business and £14.000 in arrears almost got me bankrupt, my cash flow is seriously affected. Please advice. Thank you.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Are you based in UK ? I'm talking about Surrey, thanks.
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: Well, no action so far, I need a solicitor then I intend to get them to court. Ideally I will have my money asap, plus compensation, plus interest, plus a hefty fine for Wickes which are playing dirty and act like trying to get me out of business.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm sure he/she will want a lot more than that, however I have plenty emails and paperwork.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my make is Jamie and I will help you.

Have they said why they won't pay you please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On 22.09.2016 I sent a long email to my Regional Installations Manager - Ashley Hughes, enquiring for specific reasons as for why 9 previous jobs, totaling over £10.000, have not been paid to me.
There was no reply to my email, no even a phone call.
On 05.10.2016 I asked Ashley Hughes - RIM, about the non-payments, again without success, no answer whatsoever.
About 9-10 days ago Ashley Hughes called me saying there are several problems on few of them jobs, in the sense that few customers were either not happy about the end result or were asking for some extra works. On the same occasion he said we will not receive any further jobs from Wickes and that all payments to our account have been blocked, by his decision, for an indefinite time. I have asked him to send me an email or letter about our conversation, he agreed over the phone yet nothing received so far. He also was very rude and said I should be grateful as Wickes paid us a substantial amount of money last year and I should not complain, especially being an Eastern Europe immigrant in UK. I had to point out the money received were not a present, not a bonus but the payment for our previous hard work and high quality.
Please note the meanwhile we completed another 2 jobs, no payment so far.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request full payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?