UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I loaned my brother in law some money which he told me was

Customer Question
to held in his business...
I loaned my brother in law some money which he told me was to held in his business to show he had enough capital for a project. The loan was meant to be for three months. A year later he will not pay the money back and I've discovered that he closed his business 6 months prior to us loaning him the money. He has also said that if I keep pushing to get the money he will disclose information to try and cause me problems, blackmail!
Any advice....
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
10/25/2016
Solicitor: Ben Jones, UK Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Had you verbally agreed this or was it in writing?

As this payment was intended as a loan and there was a specific repayment date which has not been adhered to, you can consider pursuing him for that money. Whilst you can make whatever demands you want now, in the end you may have to make a claim in the county court to have any chance of recovering it. If you do make the claim and win, which I do not see why you would not, you would get a county court judgment in your favour which you can use to take things further, such as using bailiffs, etc.

In terms of the threats he has made, this is not quite blackmail at this stage but you can certainly warn him that they would not be tolerated and that you would report this to the police if necessary.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss The steps you need to take if you are to pursue this further. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer