Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am in receipt of contributions based ESA, lower rate PIPS,

Customer Question

I am in receipt of contributions based ESA, lower rate PIPS, carers allowance and also get housing benefit and council tax relief.
My husband gets higher rate PIPS and carers allowance.
My younger brother sadly passed away and I inherited the sum of just over £49,600.
Do I need to declare this to DWP as several websites appear to say no but others yes. It all seems very confusing. Will this sum left by my brother for us to enjoy with the family stop our benefits being paid to us?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

You do need to declare it. They are entitled to know about any sum.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

It will impact upon some of your benefits and not others.

Some are means tested and others are not.

Housing benefit will be affected.

PIPs and carers allowance will not.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

ESA and council tax relief will be affected.

Your disability benefits will not as they are to pay for the cost of managing the disability.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have paid off some debts, replaced my old car and given some money to our children and grandchildren from their late uncle. Also we have old things we would like to replace in the home ie new washing machine, carpets and sofas. Will this be seen as reducing the inheritance deliberately as this is not the case?Also what is the actual amount of savings you are entitled to have before your benefit is affected? And what is the minimum timescale from receiving the inheritance to getting down to that balance allowed if any? Thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

The debts won't but the purchased items will.

£6k is the amount you can have without it impacting on benefits. That leads to a reduction which is phased. If you have more than £16k then that leads to the removal of means tested benefits.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you mean £16K at the beginning of your last reply or £6K as written? We were under the impression it was £25K. Also do you know why purchasing things deemed as wrong by DWP? And can you please explain what the phased reduction is please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

£16k is the top end. £6k is the bottom.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thank you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No problem. All the best.