UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I have a sister in law who's daughter is being forced to

Customer Question
give a blood transfusion to...
I have a sister in law who's daughter is being forced to give a blood transfusion to her week old son who is serverly brain damaged (as confirmed by her sons doctor, but the doctor is now back tracking). Her son is being put through painful procedures to prolong his life. They have told the doctors they do not want to do this. At this moment they are travelling to the hospital. This is all very distressing to all concerned. Please help with any advice you can give.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I am not sure except to say the family have stated they do not want to go ahead with the transfusion.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thankyou
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
9/30/2016
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I an so very sorry about the terrible tragedy facing your family

Which part of the Uk are you in?

What is the specific objection to this latest procedure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Denbighshire in North Wales. The baby in question is severely due to the umbilical cord being crushed at birth and he was deprived of oxygen. His veins were so enlarged today, the doctors had to get a line into him through his skull. This was very painful and his parents don't want his suffering to continue. If they don't agree to the transfusion the hospital said they will get it elsewhere. They have been told that the quality of life for the little boy while be negligible.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Severely mentally disabled
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,Will you be able to help?

This is of course a nightmare scenario.

have they asked for a Second Opinion?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't think so.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they have, I'm trying to find out what the answer is
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2nd consultant said his brain function isn't capable of telling his lungs to work. The 1st consultant said the brain maybe able to require itself.

How devastating.

Is the Second consultant prepared to support them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Clare,
Is it possible, if necessary, to contact you tomorrow, because my sister in law is looking after her daughters other 2 year old son and is in a dreadful state herself so I don't think I can contact her now to ask these questions. Many thanks for your help up to now.

Of course you can - There is little that can be done until Monday except for preparation in any event.

I will be out during the day tomorrow and will be in and out during the evening but I will pick it up

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Many thanks.

Is there anything more I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No thank you.
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer