How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34234
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm unsure as to whether or not this is an education

Customer Question

Good evening,I'm unsure as to whether or not this is an education law-related question or family law-related, so I'll ask in both areas.I am removing my 4 year old daughter from her current school as we are moving out of the area due to my ex-husband, her father, posing a risk to us due to a severe DV history. As an effort to safeguard myself and my children, I am moving away and not disclosing my address to my ex-husband.My ex-husband has recently been on bail for an allegation of sexual assault. Due to a lack of evidence, the case has been dropped and his bail conditions lifted. However, as he has a violent history, he has been advised by police to pursue access to our daughter through the family court.I have been advised that my ex-husband has no legal right to know where I or his daughter reside; I just need to ensure a channel of communication so that he can serve me, i.e. through a solicitor. Notably, there are no court orders in place regarding access or anything else.With all of the above in mind, my daughter's school is now requesting our new address so that this information can be passed on to the relevant educational authority. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be an issue; however, when I have asked the question about whether or not my child's father could gain access to this information (as he has parental rights), I have been left confused. Legally, does my daughter's school need to pass this information on?I have been made to feel that I absolutely must pass on my new address or my child will be considered 'Child Missing Education'. I am now worried, however, that my efforts to safeguard myself and my girls, i.e. through moving house, will be for nothing if my ex-husband calls school and asks for our forwarding address.Where do I stand with this? I'm very concerned.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are in the UK, notably.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

All schools are aware of the need for confidentiality and should not release addresses to anyone - and especially not to the other parent.

They certainly should not give a forwarding address out.

However if you are still concerned simply give them a care of address in the new area

Please ask if you need further details