UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

A company draws up a contract, a start date is agreed,

Customer Question
sensitive information shared, computer laptops...
A company draws up a contract, a start date is agreed, sensitive information shared, computer laptops organised and emails produced indicating an agreement to work together.
Whilst this happening in the background, another member of the company is reviewing their position but does not make this known to the 'contractee', i.e. does not halt proceedings any further, does this constitute a breach of contract ? is the company due costs due to the amount of time and preparation spent based on the verbal agreement ?
Many thanks *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
9/21/2016
Solicitor: Alex J., Litigator replied 1 year ago
Alex J.
Alex J., Litigator

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the contract between two companies? When you say one person is reviewing their position? Do you mean they are leaving the company? Is the contract for the provision of services? Kind regards AJ

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HiThe contract is with a local authority. They had commissioned us to carry out a series of reviews re: learning disability clients who were due to move to a different type of accommodation. It had taken approximately two months of negotiationWe were given a start date, laptops had been ordered and we were told they were waiting to configure these for us. We were also given intimate details of the clients to be seen etc. On the 5th July 2016 We attended a face to face meeting ( the fourth meeting ) and were told we could start - we were just waiting for the laptops. We were given logons and passwords to their systems. We were also given the intimate details of the clients in question.On 6th July 2016 I chased a response to an email I sent following the meeting of the 5th
On 8th July I received a response from a new manager who said that she could not respond as she was basically getting a handle on things ( I assume because she was new ??? )
On 12th July 2016 I received an email terminating our services as they 'now have capacity to complete internally'
This was an untruth.
I then emailed wwith an invoice for costs we have lost due to the termination of the contract and they say they will not pay as these were costs whilst sourcing work.Please advise.Georgina Antwi

Hi, Thank you. What costs did you incur? And did you provide any services? Did the contract contain any limitation of liability? Kind regards AJ

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We incurred travelling and meeting costs to the tune of £496.00 plus the loss of the contract 3k
I have attached the two documents they gave us as a commitment to the project. I have all the emails plus the documentation of the clients with identifiable data. I may be wrong but this to me shows a commitment to the contract. Plus the fact that they ordered us laptops and gave us logons of which I have the original copies.Many thanksGeorgina
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning£40 has been debited from my account but I still do not have an answer ?Many thanksGeorgina
Ben Jones
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer