UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Stuart, I know you have answered questions on this topic

Customer Question
Hi Stuart, I know you have...
Hi Stuart,
I know you have answered questions on this topic before but i want to know a couple of things. When yourself and your good client were looking up the possibility of a competition/raffle website, what were the MAIN things that caused your client to shy away from this? I know of one company that is doing this successfully already. I would really apprciate a quick phone call.
Only to be answered by Stuart J
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Law
9/14/2016
Solicitor: Stuart J, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor

If you let me know what you want to do and let me see the companies which are doing it successfully, and then tell me what it is that you want to know, I can give you my opinion.

Just because someone may be doing it successfully doesn’t mean that they may be doing it legally. It could mean that they just haven’t been taken to task over it yet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well i am looking to set up a competition based website for consumer electronics. The user pays to be in any given competition. I am aware of certain bits of 'red tape' that need to be dealt with appropriately. Also you mentioned you had a client who was looking at this, what was his reason for not pursuing it?The company is called Best of the Best and they hold competitions for cars. The user must pay for an attempt to spot the ball. They give to charity also.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you think?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there Stuart?

What the website you are talking about is doing, is including an element of skill. By spotting the ball, there is an element of skill.

By asking a question, there is an element of skill.

The questions need to be more than derisory so, you could not ask a question such as, “how much is 1+1?”

What you have to do is make sure that it’s not just a game of chance.

In all honesty, I think that spot the ball competitions are nothing about skill but are merely chance but that’s the way they are looked at.

By including skill, and removing chance, it becomes a competition and not gambling or a lottery

If you tell me exactly how you’re going to run yours, I can advise you further.

Stuart J
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor