How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JG_Legal Your Own Question
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 45
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
JG_Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Also how is bad evidence of a victim and witness used in

Customer Question

Also how is bad evidence of a victim and witness used in court?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 10 months ago.

I am a criminal barrister. I think I can help with this question however could you please clarify precisely what you want to know about bad character evidence.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Basically I don't have any criminal past nor ever have I been arrested my brother in law accused me of common assault (his middle one nail is damaged) he has previous convictions of common assault, fraud and preventing the course of justice? at my hearing I pleaded not guilty then my lawyer requested that they give bad character evidence and the cps said my lawyer needs to request it in writing. Why is this necessary in my case?
Expert:  JG_Legal replied 10 months ago.

The proceedure for bad character evidence (even in the magistrates' court) is to send a written application to introduce bad character evidence of a non-defendant to the CPS and court. This is necessary in all cases. Unless the CPS agree (which is highly unlikely) your lawyer will need to argue the application in a pre-trial hearing (which you will not need to attend).

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question please accept it.