How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years proefessional experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is an Italian and she married a Morrocan man a

Customer Question

Hi my friend is an Italian and she married a Morrocan man a year ago in UK ...they soon split up and now she wants a divorce ...they are still both in the UK but he might be reluctant to agree ...what is her best course of action to get divorced
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: United kindom
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: No action ...they speak on the phone about this but nothing has been done ...ideal outcome is just a divorce ...there are no children dependancies other common interests that need to be considered
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

She can file a petition for divorce if she can show the court that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. This means that either one or both of you feel that you cannot stay married to each other. Either of them may apply to the court for the marriage to be dissolved as long as they have been married for one year at least and that one of them has been a resident in the UK for the year before application is made.

She will also need to prove one of the five following facts:

a) Adultery within last 6 months

b) Unreasonable behavior within last 6 months
The other spouse has behaved in such a way that she cannot reasonably be expected to live with him. This covers all sorts of bad behavior.

c) Desertion
Her husband deserted her for a period of more than two years. Desertion means leaving your husband or wife without his or her agreement and without good reason.

d) Two years' separation with consent of other spouse.

e) Five years' separation if no consent from other spouse.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.