How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34105
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served my divorce papers but I disagree with the

Customer Question

Hi, I have been served my divorce papers but I disagree with the statement of case made by the petitioner. They have made several statements that are damaging to my character e.g. alleging emotionally abusive behaviour and also losing interest in my children. I do want a divorce but am concerned about future repercussions if signing that I agree to the statement. Should I sign the document and return it to the court? Many thanks.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in the UK.
JA: What action has been taken so far? What's your ideal outcome?
Customer: I have moved out from my house, leaving my children behind. I pay child maintenance and all finances have already been amicably shared. I have now received the divorce document from the court asking me to sign and return.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I needs some further information first

Is there any allegation of overt violence or abuse?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, the only abusive allegation is that I have caused ongoing emotional abuse that has left her requiring antidepressants. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hopefully added is the statement from the divorce papers. I have highlighted the parts that I disagree with. Many thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

How old are the chidlren and what arrangements have been made for them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Our twins are six and they are living with the petitioner. I pay her child maintenance every week.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

What contact do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I pick my girls up from school on Thursday evening (Thursday morning on holidays) and then drop them back to their other house on Sunday morning.
Expert:  Clare replied 10 months ago.

To be honest none of the allegations are bad enough to be too worried about as they will not affect either the financial settlement or any issues with the children

Where it asks if you intend to defend the matter say

" I do not admit the allegations but do not intend to defend the matter"

This will suffice to get the divorce without you actually admitting anything

Please ask if you need any further details