How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70181
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been involved with a work colleague for the past 7

Customer Question

Hi there,
I've been involved with a work colleague for the past 7 months, who initially was already in a relationship. His relationship ended when she found out about me (3 months ago). For the past 3 months, I've received no less than 12 abusive and harassing emails from his ex girlfriend, one of which she threatens to show up to my work and hurt me physically, the majority are just abuse (lots of name calling, vulgar language etc). I've not responded to any of these emails. Recently, to reasons that I can only guess being that he wants to get back together with his ex, my work colleague has now joined in with her tirade of abuse - he's threatened to throw me 'under the proverbial bus' and 'make my work life a misery’. Because of these threats, I finally responded by email, the first time asking them to not message me again, and the second asking them to stop communicating with me as I find their emails harassing, threatening and abusive which has led me to feel both uncomfortable and unsafe - however they continue to do so (this morning I woke to 4 abusive emails...!). Because of the abuse I'm having trouble sleeping and experiencing anxiety / panic attacks. I consider this to be harassment, but in the eyes of the law what would be done about it? How serious of a charge would this be? And would I have to go to court if I made a statement to police? Work-wise, it’s worth pointing out that I’m a contractor and he’s a permanent employee, I’m unsure whether he could be fired if I bring this to the attention of HR?
Thank you very much for your time
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. You have two separate queries here - one on criminal la and one on employment law - these are two distinct areas of law and you will need to ask two separate questions to get help with them as you need different types of lawyers. I can assist with the employment side if you wanted me to, but cannot hep with the criminal?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ben, thanks for getting back to me. I'd like to proceed with answers to the criminal side of things first if that's okay.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ben - you're still assigned to this, will someone else be answering my question?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hi sorry I was offline when you replied and have only just returned. I will forward this to a criminal law colleague of mine, please do not reply until she has contacted you. thanks

Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I am a criminal lawyer.

Have you told her to stop?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jo, yes I have. I finally asked them to stop messaging me on August 8th, however because she emailed me again after that I wrote her a follow-up on Aug 16th which stated "the abusive and threatening communications I've received to date have led me to feel both uncomfortable and unsafe. From here on in do not communicate with me again in any manner, as I will take it up with the police" - I received 4 abusive emails from both of them (3 from her, 1 from him) in response to that email.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

You could make a report against her.

There is no point in a report against him. He is not harassing you.

If she has responded to a request to stop more than twice though then that is harassment.

Probably all the police will do is give her a harassment warning but that is better than doing nothing.

I don't know whether or not you are prepared to make a report? Obviously it would cut into your time when you would probably prefer to be doing other things and you could always just ignore her emails. It is a matter of what you consider to be more important.

Can I clarify anything for you?